- You'll need an AIM account that you don't already use for mail. If you don't already have one, sign up for one.
- Follow steps 1 - 6 of the instructions at downloadSquad to get your AIM account set up in your mail client. You'll need to know a little about how to set up an email account in your client. The important parts are:
- The AIM IMAP server is imap.aim.com
- Use your GMail address as the email address (not your AIM one)
- Use your AIM login and password for the IMAP server
- Make sure to use GMail's smtp server with your GMail address as your username and your GMail password.
- In Apple Mail and on iPhoney I had to set the correct folders for Sent, Drafts, and Trash.
Saturday, October 20, 2007
Gmail IMAP via AIM mail
I was about to break down and pay for some mail service that has IMAP so I could use the instructions on downloadSquad for accessing GMail through IMAP when I noticed that apparently the free AIM Mail account that everyone who has a AIM screenname gets supports IMAP, and apparently has no space limit (or that I could find anyway), so that solves all my problems right there. Finally, I'll be able to access my GMail in a client on my iMac, laptop, and my
iPhone jailbroken iPod Touch. So here's how I did it: