Thursday, May 21, 2009

Homemade Honey

One of the guys I carpool with's dad has honey bees, and I recently bought some honey off of him. We got to talking on the way home about how my mom used to make honey when I was a kid, and how it tastes pretty close to real honey. He seemed pretty surprised by the recipe, but until I was in my teens, the only honey I ever tasted was what my Mom made. PIcking clover with her and watching her boil it on the stove is one of my earliest memories.

Anyway... here's my family recipe for homemade (non-bee) honey:

6 c. water
10 lb. sugar
80 white clover flowers
50 red clover flowers
8 big red roses
1 tsp. alum

Wash all flowers in a colander. Bring sugar and water to a boil for 2 - 2 1/2 minutes. Remove from heat and add flowers and alum. Let set for 10 minutes. Bring to a boil again for 4 minutes. Remove as much of the flowers as you can, and strain through a cheese cloth, then jar and seal.

No comments: