Sunday, August 23, 2009

Summer Squash Noodles and Tomato Basil Sauce with Capers

I tend to think of myself as a pretty good cook, and I like to experiment a lot, but never write down what I did. Tonight though, I just made something incredibly good, so I have to write down this recipe. I'm not much of a measure and process cook, more of a throw things together cook, so these measurements and times will be a little off, but should be very close to what I actually did. This recipe is based off one I saw here (via Lifehacker), but I made up my own sauce. The original recipe tells you to make your noodles while the sauce is cooking, but I don't like to feel rushed, so I did that before making sauce. All in all, this took about 15 minutes and should serve two to three.

Summer Squash Noodles and Fresh Tomato Basil Sauce with Capers
2 - 4 Summer Squash
8 - 12 Baby Button Portabella Mushrooms, chopped
2 Cloves Garlic, minced
2 Tbsp Olive Oil
2 large tomatoes
2 Tbsp Fresh Chopped Basil
1-2 Tbsp Capers (depending on how much you like capers)
1/2 Tsp Kosher Salt
1/4 Tsp Black Pepper
Fresh Grated Parmesan Cheese
2 Tbsp Olive Oil
Additional Kosher Salt

  1. Peel squash, then use a vegetable peeler to make "noodles" about the size of fettuccini noodles. Peel until you start to get to the seeds. The video below from the original post can explain better.
  2. Core and remove seeds from tomato. You can take the skin off too if you really want, but it doesn't bother me. Dice up into 1/2 inch cubes.
  3. Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a saucepan. Add minced garlic and mushrooms. Saute for 2 - 3 minutes, or until garlic begins to brown slightly.
  4. Add diced tomato, basil, salt, and pepper, and cook on medium to medium high until tomatoes start to turn into a sauce, stirring occasionally. About 6 - 8 minutes. Add the capers, then bring the heat on the sauce to low.
  5. In a saute pan, heat up another 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Once oil is heated, add your squash noodles and sprinkle with kosher salt. Saute for 1 - 2 minutes, making sure the noodles don't get too soft.
  6. Serve the sauce on top of noodles, and sprinkle with fresh parmesan.
When you're done, you should get a really tasty and healthy (I think anyway) meal that looks like this:

No comments: